As you may recall from my previous post, I was planning on making homemade apple turnovers with the apples we picked in Fairview. My plans did not go as expected, due to the fact that I attempted to make a crust from a recipe that uses canola oil in place of shortening or butter. While that does sound good in theory, it was a recipe and technique that I was unfamiliar with. I know others that were there, who tried my pie, thought it was passable (it needed more sweetener of some type), I was very disappointed. It did not satisfy my craving for fresh homemade apple turnovers. So tonight, I tried again.
These turned out so much better, perfect in fact. The crust was light and flaky. Of course, I used butter and white flour. Sorry I can't share them with everyone. But I did take two down to our lovely neighbors from South Africa, Julia and Katie. Sara delivered them fresh out of the oven. I hope they loved them as much as we did. Luckily, I was able to make enough for us to have some tomorrow for breakfast, if we like. Maybe I will make them for Thanksgiving this year. I will have to strongly consider that...HMMMMM. Well, enough for tonight. Look for daily posts, as I really am trying to reach my goal of 100.

2 comments:
You should ask Aunt Lynn how she makes her crusts. She usually uses canola oil, if I remember correctly.
If your dad had been available to help you the recipe you used would have done fine. I haven't made any crust with canola oil so i wasn't sure how to work it. Do make some for Thanksgiving! I want at least one to have my name on it... :)
Post a Comment