Saturday, October 18, 2008

Busy day...

Considering I had the day off today, I got started pretty early. I woke up at 7:30 and prepared for my morning walk. I stopped at Dunkin Donuts and for my pumpkin spice latte and a box of Munchkins (to go) and headed to the park. I enjoyed my latte while I warmed up and then spent close to 1 hour walking. Once I got back home I needed to get the rest of the gang moving so we could leave for the orchard in time to get some apples and then get to Mom and Dad's before 3.

However, our plans did not go exactly as expected. We were very disappointed to find out that people can no longer pick their own apples at this particular farm, so we decided to enjoy some of the other activities instead. At Hickory Nut Gap Farms they have a pretty nice set up for fall activities. They had pony rides, a corn maze, a pumpkin patch, a play area with bubbles, and lots of baby animals to see. And of course, they did have apples.


The girls really wanted to ride the pony, but we only had the funds and time for 1 activity, so we opted for the corn maze and pumpkin patch instead. I have never been in a corn maze before, it was quite fun. They have it set up in such a way that you have to read these trivia questions as you go through the maze. Based on the answer you choose, you go toward the next stopping place, or you go to a dead end. Hard to explain, but pretty cool. Carmel and I ended up going the wrong direction and came back out at the beginning while Jimmy and Sara found the right path and finished the way they were supposed to. Oh well, it was fun either way.


After we completed the maze we strolled through the pumpkin patch and looked at the pumpkins. They had them cut off the vines and ready to purchase, but we already have 2 at home and didn't need any more at this time. But what we did need was apples. I was planning on making apple turnovers while at Mom and Dad's.

While we didn't get to pick the apples off the trees, we did get to pick them from the bins. These are of the Roma variety. Not my favorites, but the gilrs like them.

And as you can see, Sara takes her apple 'picking' very seriously. They had a great time. They got to feed the goats and have an apple cider popcicle for a treat. They found the smallest apples I have ever seen that were actually ripe and tasted just the bigger versions. How cool is that? (Sara has a couple in her left hand.)

We arrived at Mom and Dad's at about 1:30 and proceeded to have a very nice day and evening. We got to meet one of Mom's cousins,Anna, and her husband, Scott. The guys all went fishing and the women visited and I fixed a poor version of apple pie. My attempt at turnovers went badly, so I ended up trying the pie and that didn't go very well either. I may try again tomorrow. Then again, I may not.

The view up on the mountain is spectacular this time of year. I love being up there. Before the guys left for fishing, Jimmy built a fire in the pit on the deck and I worked hard all afternoon to keep it burning so that the kids could roast marshmallows in the evening. I did a pretty good job if I do say so myself. The fire lasted just long enough to get in some good mallow roasting and some Munchkin roasting as well. That may sound crazy but it was actually pretty good.

While it was a fun day, I am so happy to be home. I look forward to getting under the covers and getting a good nights sleep, not to mention, getting to sleep in in the morning. I may try and go and walk tomorrow and, if I do, I will likely call Lynn and get her to go along. Sometimes it is nice to walk with someone and chat and not just listen to music, especially since I can't sing without people giving me odd looks.

I think I must be getting tired, because I am starting to ramble again. I'll end for tonight.

1 comment:

Fran said...

We were so pleased that you and the family came Saturday. We had a great weekend and you helped to make it so.
I didn't think your pie was all that bad. It just wasn't quite sweet enough. No big deal.