Monday, January 7, 2008

Update

As I was driving to work this morning I began thinking of Steven. It occurred to me that this has probably been the longest I have gone without hearing from him. I can't even call him. It is an odd feeling being out of touch with your own child. Especially when you are used to being able to call and talk anytime. I think about him everyday but today I needed to try and push my lonely thoughts to the back of my brain so that I would be able to focus while at work.

I needed to keep my emotions under wraps, for the day anyway. I have just been hoping for the moment to come when I would get a letter or call. I fully expected the letter first. However, as I was standing in the breakroom talking to my boss, my cell phone rang. When I looked at the caller ID I read... KENTUCKY!!! I was thrilled, I knew it must be Steven. I was right!!! He was able to give me quick call to let me know how he was doing.

He said he is still in the processing phase until Friday and then the training starts. He also said that he had gotten his head shaved and almost passed out when they drew 4 vials of blood. He has never been able to tolerate getting blood drawn. So far he has been able to avoid any tough attention. Meaning that they have not singled him out yet. He was warned that because of his height he may get more attention than he would like. So far so good.

He also told me that in 8 weeks there will be a family weekend. He wants to fly me up there to visit...more details on that subject as I get them. It was a very short conversation but it was great getting to hear his voice. I miss him so much. He sounds older already. I think he may be somewhat overwhelmed right now. There is so much to take in I am sure.

Well, that's all for now. I'll probably post again after the girls b-ball games tomorrow night. Love you all.

1 comment:

Fran Eury said...

Hummm... I wonder what kind of attention he is talking about. Being razed because he is tall? Wow! I am so glad you heard from him. That loneliness never goes away. When I have not heard from my own children for weeks it hurts my heart even though they are all so "old" now. That's one thing that is so nice about this blogging. It is such a neat way to stay in touch if only for a moment. Love you much.