Monday, January 21, 2008

News from Kentucky

We got another letter from Steven on Friday. I haven't had a chance to write until today so here goes. He starts with saying that it is really cold and they have had snow. They were in the process of getting their field gear, like helmets and cevlar vests, which are very heavy. By now he has probably gotten his weapon. He says they have to sleep with it and a friend of mine who was in the service tells me he will have to give it a girls name. I wonder what Steven will pick.

He goes on to tell that he witnessed a guy getting arrested for disobeying and order. I am not sure if they were made to watch so they would be less inclined to do the same. It is possible that it was a set up to scare them, if you ask me. Who knows. Anyway, he says his voice is gone from singing cadences but otherwise he is feeling ok. He did say that everyone received the flu mist spray and that they were all a little sick from that, but recovering.

He can't wait to start getting letters from everyone, and will try and write back. He says that graduation is May 1. So I guess Jimmy, the girls, and I will be going to Kentucky at the end of April. Patrick won't be able to go since he can't miss school or else he will have to take his English exam at the end of the semester. He really doesn't want to do that and I can't blame him, English is not his best subject. I have no idea what we will do with him though. Maybe he will be ok to stay home by himself. We will see, that is still a few months away. He will have to do a lot to prove he is trust worthy.

I hope these updates aren't too boring for everyone, I will probably not do this for every letter but since these are the first ones and everyone has been asking how he is doing I wanted to share. I will pass on anything that seems relevant or special, but the routine things may get omitted. Love you all and thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to start a letter. I am so glad you are hearing from him. I miss him even though I did not get to see him often even when he was here.

Martha said...

I love reading your blogs and updates on Steven. You write so bueatiful and I love the excitement in your blogs and stories. Keep up the updates, even though I don't get to see or hear from you often its a good way to keep up with your sweet family. And I am thinking of Steven everyday, I am sure he'll do fine. Martha

Mary said...

Martha, i am so glad to see a comment from you. It's nice to know who's reading. Thanks for the encouragement, I needed that.

Lynn said...

I am sorry I have not written yet. But I will. I really will.
I enjoy your posts. Not boring.
I like Patrick's haircut, but I liked it the other way, too.