This past weekend I had the pleasure of spending loads of quality time with my 2 wonderful daughters. Jimmy and Patrick went to Charlotte for a soccer tournament. They made the same trip last year about this same time, however, I was laid up with a broken leg and it wasn't the best of weekends. This year was much better.
We started our weekend Friday night shortly after the guys left town. We made a quick trip to Target to get nail polish so we could do manicures and pedicures. Friday night we did fingers. We watched movies and painted our nails. We didn't stay up too late because both of the girls had games on Sat and needed to get plenty of rest.
We woke up Sat morning and got ready for the day. It was nice to have time to wake up slowly, so often we are up and running within about 30 min. So it was quite a change to have 1-2 hours to get ready. The girls ate beans and rice for breakfast and I think I skipped breakfast. That is not good. Ever since I started loosing weight I have been making an effort to eat every morning. It helps me not feel so sluggish and starved by lunch time. Anyway, we made it to Sara's game without any problem. It was scheduled at 11:30 and started on time. The weather wasn't great, but managable. Cool and windy with a sprinkle of rain. I just prayed that the bad weather would clear, otherwise Carmel's game would be cancelled...again. Luckily, it warmed up and the sky turned blue and the sun shone brightly.
After Sara's game she changed clothes in the car as we drove to Climb Max. She was invited to a birthday party for one of her classmates. Climb Max is a rock climbing place in downtown Asheville. She was very excited about going and it started at 12:30 so we were going to be late. We made good time and she really didn't miss much. I had arranged with Zach's mom for her to take Sara home with her after the party since Carmel's game didn't even start until 3:00 and I knew there would be no way I could get back in time to get her. Once Carmel and I dropped Sara off at the party we walked over to Subway near the Grove Arcade and split a 5 dollar footlong. I have actually not eaten at a Subway in the past 2 years or so, ever since I tried Jersey Mikes. I am just not real impressed with Subway any more. But it was the cheapest and closest place for lunch, so I gave in to practicality. Just as I remembered, Subway subs aren't that great. Oh well, live and learn.
We arrived at Carmel's game early enough for us to make a lap around all of the soccer fields so I was able to get in a little exercise. Because Carmel was one of the first ones to arrive she was able to start. At her age level they only play 5 kids at a time, so getting to start is a big deal. She went in first as defender, but when the other team scored on them, within the first minute or two of the game, the goalie started crying and Carmel ended up having to get the ball out of the goal to put it back in the center and she just stayed in goal for the rest of the first quarter. She played a lot more this game than she did the last one and played goalie twice. They lost the game but she was just glad to be getting to play. We aren't even sure of what the final score was. The best part is she got the Sportsmanship coin for this game. Her coach said she was the most improved and played very well. What a great game, too bad I was the only one there to see it. But that's ok, she has other games. Like tonight for instance. She plays at 6 so we have a busy night.
Back to the girl's weekend. After the game we went to get Sara from Zach's house and ended up spending over an hour visiting and getting the tour of their gardens and pond. I work with Zach's mom at the hospital and it was very nice getting to see their house and getting to know Crystal and David a little better. They are such a sweet family. Once we left their house we had to run to the craft store to get some sticker letters for Sara's science project (yet another task we needed to complete this weekend). We picked up some dinner when we went to WalMart and then came home. After we ate dinner, we sat on the side of the tub to start our pedicures. We soaked our feet and then scrubbed nails and heels and used a foot scrub. My girls sure do have ticklish feet. I tell you, scrubbing those toes was no easy task. We finished scrubbing then got dried off and watched a movie while we painted our toes ...RED. I love red toenails in the summer. The girls actually stayed up pretty late that night but at least they behaved.
Sunday we slept in again and once we did wake up we had to do Sara's science project. Her project consisted of making a poster board with all of her information on it. She did her project on the effects of soda water on plants. Because she had been collecting data for over a month, it wasn't too difficult to get it all put in poster format. It actually didn't take as long as I thought it would. We relaxed for a little while after it was done and then we did our grocery shopping for the week.
Jimmy and Patrick got home about 7 pm and things were getting back to normal. Carmel had her nightly meltdown about going to bed and Sara drug her feet when she was told to get in bed. Patrick and I watched Juno and Jimmy fell asleep and snored most of the way through the movie. I fell asleep about 12:30 am very content that all was right in the house again.
I loved having the time alone with the girls but I sure am glad that my guys are back. Well, 2 of them anyway. We get to see the other one in less than 2 weeks. But we won't all be together until mid May. That time can't get here fast enough for me;)
5 comments:
Rice and beans for breakfast. That's Costa Rican style!
By the way, I don't remember if you drink coffee or not, but coffee (at least for me) is a great appetite suppressant. I don't purposely drink it for that reason, it's just something I've noticed. If I drink coffee with breakfast, I'm hardly hungry at lunch time, but if I don't drink coffee, I'm starving. Not sure why, but you might try it. Just don't put too much sugar in it.
Sounds like a nice weekend. We just saw Juno too. It was pretty good.
Oh I have to have my coffee almost every morning. I haven't noticed any changes in appetite though. I use the splenda sweetened flavored creamer when I have coffee from home and regular sweetened flavored creamer when I get my 63 cent coffee from Enmark (gas station).
that sounds like so much fun, maybe someday I can do something like that with my grandkids!!!
I can't wait.
my mom is right that was a fun weakend.
Having had all our girls first, I can appreciate the "girl time." I have loved my girls so much. Daughters are very special in their own right but then, sons are very special, too.I love my children and love watching their children bud into young adults. Hope they don't grow up too fast. Love, Mom
Post a Comment