However, I recently discovered that one of the nurses I work with is in the process of becoming a yoga instructor, and another of my co-workers has actually been teaching yoga for a while. So, I asked them if they would consider teaching an informal/beginner class to some of the staff. Thankfully they agreed, very willingly actually. We had our first class tonight and I loved it. There were 7 of us in the class tonight, which is good because the room we were in is not very big. Myself and one other girl were the only ones who have never done yoga. I knew going into the experience that I would have a hard time with some of the poses, I recognise that I am not a very physically flexible person. But I was willing to give it my best effort.
They provided a very warm and accepting environment to learn in. I felt very comfortable with all of the attendees. They were all people I work with regularly, not all were nurses, but they all work in or with our department. I tried my very best to learn all of the poses and did attempt all of them, although, I was unable to actually do some of them very well. Part of my issue is I still have a somewhat weak left ankle. But I am willing to continue learning and trying.
The peacefulness of the class was amazing. It was exactly what I needed, especially today. I had the second phase of my root canal this morning and while I did better emotionally, I am very sore tonight. During the class I was able to take my mind off my mouth pain.
I can hardly wait for the next class. I just hope I am not working and will be able to attend. Overall, I am beginning to have a better self image...it is a process. I am learning a lot about myself, including how to love myself. I still have a long way to go, but I am getting there. I have so much to be thankful for in my life and I am learning to enjoy the small things. Mostly, I am thankful for my husband. He has done so much to encourage me and support me during this newest adventure in my life. And that's exactly how I am looking at all of this...a new adventure...not a chore...not an inconvienence...not something that is required of me. But rather, something new and exciting...fun to learn...a welcome challenge to improve myself.
4 comments:
Mary as I mentioned in one of your blogs last week you can tell you've lost some weight you look good. You go girl! Its nice to have the support too. I hope the yoga works for you. But whatever your doing your doing great Keep up the good work, and then I am going to ask your secrets. Martha
Thanks for your support, it means a lot to me. I wasn't actually fishing for compliments, I was just sharing some of my inner feelings. After I reread my post I realized how needy I sounded. I am feeling great, most of the time, when I am not too tired. Not that I mind getting positive comments, I really do appreciate them.
I didn't think you sounded needy. You sound like you're reveling in your new frame of mind, which seems to be a healthy one that will lead you to success. Keep it up!
I am just so proud of you. I know you are healthier already, both physically and mentally, and no one knows better than me in this family how awful it is to feel "fat and ugly." I, too, constantly work on liking myself, at least, my aging body. But I feel we must always keep making strides toward the healthy and never give up. Love, Mom
Post a Comment