Man did I have a busy day! I started off my day heading to Walmart for some additional groceries that I had neglected to get yesterday. I had planned on leaving both of the girls at home so that I could get done quicker, but it was not to be. Before I could even get out of the house Carmel was teasing Sara to the point that Sara was yelling at her in frustration. Since Jimmy was trying to sleep after working all night, I decided to take the pesky one with me.
So at about 10:30 Carmel and I were off. After a quick stop at ALDI we were on to Walmart. Of course with this being the last Sat before Christmas, Walmart was twice as packed as usual, lucky for me I have decided to start parking farther away from the stores in an effort to get in better shape. Because there were no up close spaces available. As we were about ready to get in the line to check out Steven called to see where we were, I let him know that I was about to leave and that I would probably only be in the line for 30 min or so, but that if he wanted I would come and get him before I had to make my next stop. He said fine so that's what I did. Actually I picked him and Sara up and we headed off to the mall. No, I am not crazy. I needed to get a gift for a friend. While we were at the mall Mom called to let me know that the plans we had made to meet up at the Lowes across town had changed. Luck was shining down on me and we were going to be able to meet on my side of town instead. I thought we had a little time to spare so I took all the kids (minus Patrick ) to Taco Bell for lunch.
Lunch was ok, nothing great, after all it was Taco Bell. Just as we were finishing lunch Mom called to say they were close and ready to meet if we were. We headed out and down Tunnel Rd, which was actually not too busy considering. After a little hunt in the parking lot of Lowes I was able to locate Dad who had parked all the way down on the end. I picked up the item I was getting from Mom and we were heading home. It was great to see M and D. Not a long visit but good to get a hug and kiss. On the way home I realized I had forgotten to go to the Kitchen Co to look for a pastry board so that I could make cookies. So we had to make a quick detour to RiverRidge shopping center for that item. We also stopped in at the new music store to see if it would be possible to have my old flute fixed for Sara to be able to use in the next couple of years. She wants to be in the band in middle school.
By the time we got home it was about 1:00 and I still had so much to do. I started by making the chili cheese dip I had promised the kids I would make. Since they will be out of school for a while they need plenty of snack stuff to keep them happy. While the dip was cooking I started the gingerbread cookies. The dough would need to chill for a while so I needed to get the first part done early. As soon as that was done I realized that I still had some fresh pumpkin that needed to be cooked, so I made a pan of pumpkin bread. It has the consistancy of bread but in the shape of a cake. While the cake/bread was in the oven I started the next project for the day...chocolate covered pretzels and chocolate covered peanut butter crackers. By the time I got those finished the bread/cake was done and I was able to take it out. I had a quick break before I had to start dinner so I played some guitar hero with the girls.
We had a simple meal of spaghetti, of course I have to make two different sauses since Sara doesn't eat meat and everyone else does, But it still wasn't too bad. While I was fixing dinner it just all of a sudden hit me how lucky I am. I have 4 great kids, they had worked together earlier in the day to clean the downstairs and actually all got along in the process. I have a wonderful husband who is very tolerant of the mood swings I have been having lately. I have loving family who I know will always be there for me if I need it. I have sweet friends who care about me and my family eventhough the don't have to. I have a job I love that is very rewarding to me.
I loved being in the kitchen fixing all of my family's favorite things. I had visions of the old days when the boys were little and I had the time to clean and cook and decorate and play. I miss those days. I miss having freetime to do the things I love to do. I want to do those same things with my girls. I want to bake cookies, play games, read stories, and watch movies.
I think I have come to a decision...I vow that in the year to come...I will be a better mother, wife, sister, daughter, and friend. I will make more time for the important things. I will give up the extra sleep I usually treasure so much if it means I will can be with those who I treasure more. I want to take more pictures, read more books, bake more cookies, sing more songs, enjoy my kids and my family. I will exercise more and eat better foods. I will learn to love the me that I am. Sounds like I am in for quite a year, huh?
By the way...I had a blast teaching the girls how to roll out dough and use cookie cutters. They loved making their own cookies. I look forward to doing it again real soon and so do they. Believe it or not I was even able to keep my cool and let them make a bit of a mess. That is a real accomplishment for me.
So despite the fact that my day started out very busy, I feel great and satisfied with my life. I am just where I want to be. I have no regrets. Sometimes busy is good. I can bet you one thing though...I will sleep good tonight. Love to you all.
4 comments:
What a neat blog you wrote. I am glad your day ended on such a good, positive note. I love the communication that is going on between our family. It is enriching us all.
I like these "epiphany" blog posts. They're cathartic to write, and they share so much, so simply. Like my "moving back to Gainesville" blog.
Good luck with your aspirations. But about that part of family always being there for you...I'll be unavailable tonight from 6:13 to 6:49. Just wanted to give you a head's up!
Thanks for the heads up Bro. I'll try not to need you during that time.
yuz guys is funny
Post a Comment