Thursday, March 13, 2008

Trip to Kentucky--Day 1

Ok, so I got off to a good start this morning. My day started at 6:45 am, I woke up early enough to get the kids off to school. This task consists of waking the (girls against their will), helping them find clothes, fixing breakfast, and fixing lunches. I also have to help them with grooming, if it were up to them they would never brush their hair, thank goodness it's not up to them. Luckily, Jimmy had today off and was able to help get all of our morning routine accomplished fairly smoothly. It is so much easier when there are two of us running the show.

After I drove the girls to school, I stopped by the gym for my morning workout. I have been able to increase my time on the eliptical (I have no idea how to spell this) I'm up to 7 minutes on level one. I know many of you anti-gym folks may not know what I am referring to so I will try to explain. This machine is kinda like a stairclimber, only less impact on the joints. It is very smooth and totally human powered. It may not sound like much but it is actually pretty difficult for someone who is not in great shape...ehem..like me. The first time I ever tried this thingy I couldn't even do 1 minute, mostly due to my weak ankle. But, over the last 2 months, I have been able to build up my endurance and strength. I am quite thrilled that I can now go 7 min and not be too winded. Anyway, after my quick time on that machine, I spent 30 min on the treadmill. This is my peaceful, reflective time. I did my stretching and some minor toning and then headed back to the apt. I was in and out of the shower by 9:15 and was then able to finish packing and fixing my snacks.

By 9:45 I was in the car and heading to the gas station for a fillup prior to hitting the road. This was the toughest part. I have not actually filled my entire car in quite some time, I never have enough money to completely fill up a 25 gallon car. So when I hit $50, I started to squirm. Then, because I was sitting on empty, when I hit $60 I almost cried. The final price...$69. OH MY!!! How many times was I going to have to do this on my trip? Overall, it really doesn't matter. Money is not the issue. Getting to see my oldest son is the most important thing on my mind.

I was heading out of town by 10:00. That was precisely the time I had set for myself to be leaving by, so I was doing pretty well. I put in the first of my 8 special made CD's and started singing. And driving. The weather was beautiful, the roads were clear, and the traffic was minimal.

My first stop was made once I got on to I-75, on the other side of Knoxville. I decided I needed some lunch so I stopped at Taco-Bell and had a quick bite to go. The stretch break and the potty break were the most important reasons to stop. I was also able to call and give Jimmy an update.

My car gets OK gas milage on the highway so I didn't even need to stop and refill on my way. I reached Clarksville a little before 5 pm and checked into my hotel without any trouble. This Holiday Inn seems to be a little older, but it is clean and safe. Once I unpacked and checked out some of the hotel features (like where the ice machine is and where the fitness center is) I decided to go find a Target (to get an extension cord) and find somewhere to get dinner. Have you ever noticed that there are never any electrical outlets located near the beds in a hotel? Well, how was I going to use my computer in bed or plug in my cell phone from across the room? Hince the need for an extension cord. Smart, huh?

So right now I am sitting in bed, watching TV, and posting this new entry. Once I am done with this I plan on either reading, knittting, or playing the Sims on the computer. I hope I will be able to sleep without too much difficulty. I am way too excited about getting to see Steven tomorrow. It's hard to believe that by this time tomorrow night, he will be here beside me as I make my next entry. I will have photos to post at that time. On that thought, I am going to end and relax. Love to everyone.

5 comments:

Fran Eury said...

What a great trip. You made very good time. I am just now seeing all of these blogs, including the one just before this one that yo wrote on Friday the 7th? I usually check blogs every day so I don't know how I missed that one. I am glad you are getting to see Steven. I know all too well what it is like to miss one's children. And we never get over that... Can't wait for you to get home

Unknown said...

Sister, let me tell you....you sound so healthy. I don't think I have really heard you like this before. You usually sound so depressed, which you portray as tired. I can not stress how proud I am of you and how you really have your life together.
I love you much!!!!!
Bonnie

Lynn said...

I wish I had been reading this as you were writing it. I am judt now getting to it at midnight on Wednesday the 19th.
I am so happy for you with your progress in the getting fitter routine. Good work! I agree with Bonnie. I am very proud of you.
You da woman! Love ya and can't wait to read the rest of your story.

Lynn said...

I wish I had been reading this as you were writing it. I am judt now getting to it at midnight on Wednesday the 19th.
I am so happy for you with your progress in the getting fitter routine. Good work! I agree with Bonnie. I am very proud of you.
You da woman! Love ya and can't wait to read the rest of your story.

Lynn said...

I wish I had been reading this as you were writing it. I am judt now getting to it at midnight on Wednesday the 19th.
I am so happy for you with your progress in the getting fitter routine. Good work! I agree with Bonnie. I am very proud of you.
You da woman! Love ya and can't wait to read the rest of your story.