I had kind of a rough start this morning. I did alright as far as getting all dressed and ready in time to leave and get gas and be on my way by 8:45. I even did Ok getting to the base without written directions. I could tell on the map that I needed to be on hightway 31w and I know that that was the name of the highway right outside of my hotel. One option for getting there was to get on I65 and head South, however once I got going in that direction I realized that I65 was moving really slowly. So I decided to just stay on 31w and hope for the best. It had started raining and that did make things slightly difficult. Highway 31 goes through some of the not so nice areas of Louisville, which was kinda scary. Thank goodness it was daytime. I was making pretty good time and felt very encouraged that I would get there with time to spare...then I got to the base and things began to go wrong. I got to the security gate, showed my ID and asked the MP for directions to the location I needed, he then informed me that I needed to go back to the information center (the one I had just passed) and ask for directions. It was really close to 10:00 by this time and I knew I was going to be late. I rushed into the info center, had to run back out and get my ID, and then back in to get directions. I thought I had all of the directions down pat in my memory, think again Mary, I got lost trying to get to Olive Theater. I finally arrived about 10-15 min late so I missed the opening slide show which showed all of the things they have been doing. But I did get there in time to see the Baret donning ceremony. Which would be the same as moving the tassle from one side of a graduation cap to the other. I am so glad I didn't miss that.
This picture above is of the platoon when they turned to face the families. It took me a while to find Steven and I don't think you can actually see him in this shot. But I was able to see him, and that's all that counts.
This is Steven standing at attention. As hard as I try, I can not get him to smile. The truth is, he is not supposed to smile while he is standing at attention. Even when I zoomed in for a closer pic I couldn't get a smile out of him. But he sure does look good doesn't he. I am so proud of him. As he reminded me later in the day, this is the first time he had completed anything he has started. He is proud of himself as well.
Once we got back to the hotel I was able to see the silly kid I know. He is able to be a lot more relaxed here in the room. So as you can see, not a whole lot has changed. He is more muscular, having gained 20 pounds and 1/2 inch in the past 2 months. He looks really well and happy.
I may post again tonight, if not it will be tomorrow. Love to you all.

1 comment:
Goodness, my soldier grandson. He looks quite spiffy, I'd say.
Post a Comment