Thursday, September 11, 2008

Some "intense" thoughts from me to you...

Ok, so the other night I was able to attend a second yoga class...and it was amazing. It was a shorter class than the last one, but that was OK because I had just worked a 12 hour shift and was rather exhausted. But it was definately something I needed. Like I said before, the girls teaching the class are wonderful. They are such gentle people. Not only do they make great nurses but they are good friends. It was so good I came up with the new word 'yogastic' as in fantastic yoga experience.

Anyway, at the end of the class they have us lay on our backs and get really relaxed, because after all that stretching...you have to relax all your muscles. Laura will typically read some type of poem or passage that helps you reflect on life, at least she has at the 2 classes I have attended. Now maybe this type of thing happens at all yoga classes, I don't know. But if not...it should. It gives one a real sense of peace and calm. This particular passage was so fitting with how I am feeling right now, it couldn't have come at a better time. I was very much in the zone of relaxation when she read this and it moved me to tears. It made me think of my son in the Army, my son at home, my sister and her struggles, my nephews and their ever changing lives, my parents, and just life in general. I asked for a copy of it so that I could share it with the people I care about the most. I hope it will be enjoyed by all.

Please take the time to read it slowly and just take it all in. It may not be as effective as it was when I was totally relaxed and open, but I hope it is appreciated none the less.


Sometimes we don't know what we want, what's next, or what we think our lives will look like down the road. That's okay. If the answer is 'I don't know', then say it. Say it clearly. And be at peace with not knowing. Sometimes the reason we don't know is that what's coming is going to be very different from anything we've experienced before. Even if we knew, we couldn't relate to it because it's that new and that different. It's a surprise.

Sometimes the reason we don't know is that it would be too difficult, too confusing for us right now. It would take us out of the present moment, cause us to worry and fuss about how we could control it or what we have to do to make it happen. Knowing would make us afraid. Put us on overload. Take us away from now. Sometimes our souls know, but it's just not time for our conscious minds to know yet. Sometimes knowing would take us out of the very experience we need to go through to discover the answer we're looking for.

And sometimes the process of learning to trust, the process of going through an experience and coming to trust that we will ultimately discover our own truth, is more important than knowing.'The process of moving from what we don't know to what we are to learn is a process that can be trusted. It's how we grow and change. It's okay to not know. It's okay to let ourselves move into knowing. The lesson is trusting that we'll know when it's time.'

4 comments:

Lynn said...

We'll know when it's time to know? I sure hope so. It's what I count on.

Fran said...

That was truly lovely. Just what you needed. Just what we all need even without the great yoga to go with it. I think it is great that you have this yoga opportunity. Keep it up!

Bonnie and John said...

I feel like I am in that state of mind now. Because I don't know what is ahead, and human nature (my opinion) leads us to look or predict the negative. I think the reason for this is if something bad were to happen we would feel more prepared and not caught off gaurd. So therefore, if you don't try to predict or try to know what the future holds, you will be more at peace. What is going to happen is probably going to happen and there is probably not much we could do to change it, even if we knew it was going to happen.
love you sis!

Lynn said...

I just re-read this post and was able to absorb the yoga meditation a little better this time. I need to constantly remind myself that it is ok not to know the future. I need to just come to grips that I don't know and won't be able to know and so I might as well stop wishing that I did.