This morning Sara, Carmel, and I attended a fundraising walk for ovarian cancer. This was the first year for the Lap the Lake walk. It was started in honor of a lady named Susan J. O'Brian. She lost her battle with ovarian cancer and her sister initiated this walk in her name to help raise awareness about the signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer. The walk took place at Biltmore Lake/Enka Lake. It was a nice 2.5 mile walk, the terrain was not bad at all, the weather was absolutely wonderful, and the company was pleasant. The girls did very well and seemed to really enjoy the time together.
At kick off time there was a speaker who shared her story about how she was diagnosed and how she survived. She is actually a 20 year survivor. In honor of what she refers to as her "Golden Year" --she was born in 54 and turned 54 in May---she is going to ride her bike across the US. What an amazing woman. It was great to be able to take part in an event like this.
We named our team the "Johnson Girls" and we walked in honor of Jimmy's Mom, Irene. She fought bravely for 3 years and went peacefully 8 years ago. She was such a special person. I miss her very much and I try hard to share stories and such with my girls so they can feel like they have somewhat of a relationship with her. Next year, if they have the walk again, I would love to have all of the women in my life join us. Especially the original Johnson Girls. It would be a great bonding experience and something to treasure in our memories.
So my day started off peaceful and will end loudly. Jimmy and I are going to a concert tonight at the Civic Center. I have no idea who the band is I just know they perform Beatles songs. One of my friends at work was not able to go so she sold me her tickets. The girls will go to Bonnie and John's for the evening and Patrick will be at work so we can just relax and have fun. I am looking forward to a night out.
I guess it could be said that we are going to be celebrating the birth of our first child. Today is Steven's 20th birthday. I can't believe it. This is the first time we have not been together on his birthday. Unfortunately, it won't be the last either. I did get to call him this morning and wish him a happy day. I think I woke him up, OH well, it's time the tables were turned.
2 comments:
I think it was great that you and the girls walked the walk. I commend you for your involvement. Hope I can walk it with you next year.
Me too.
Post a Comment