This is best month of the year so far. Steven is home for his 14 day R and R. He arrived home on Friday morning, flying in to Asheville ahead of schedule. He was actually not due to arrive until Sunday or Monday. Good thing he was eager enough to get here that he pushed for getting earlier transport to Kuwait. Smart kid I got there.
After he got in, we had a quick breakfast at I Hop, it was good and the waitress actually bought his breakfast for him as a way to say thanks for his service to the country. Of course, we left a nice sized tip. After breakfast, we headed off to Target to see Jimmy. He was working and not able to be at the airport, so a trip to Target was a must. It was a brief reunion since Steven had other more pressing issues to deal with. His sisters didn't know he was coming and he was anxious to surprise them. We headed off to Carmel's school first, she was on her way to lunch and we were there just in time to catch her coming down the hallway. I did manage to video it but since I am not sure how to put them in here it will have to wait. Anyway, she was very excited and ran straight to his arms. It was heartwarming and exciting. She was so happy and actually speechless for a minute or two, if that is to be believed. Now that we had the little one, we were off to the middle school to get the big girl. Luckily, she was also at lunch. After checking in at the office , we stood in the cafeteria doorway and waited for her to notice us. It only took about 3 seconds, then she was up, out of her chair and heading toward Steven. She was in his arms in no time and crying all over his uniform. The office staff were standing there and commenting on how sweet it was. It was rather emotional. We signed her out as well, and headed off to the high school. Afterall, if we were going to check the girls out of school we may as well get the big boy. It took us forever to find him, but when we did, he was all grins. Not only because Steven was home, but because he was getting to leave early. We spent the rest of the afternoon shopping, eating, and playing the Wii.
In the evening, we went to a community dinner and talent show. A few of the family were there, as well as some old family friends. It was a very nice evening. The girls both performed, Sara sang the Star Spangled Banner and Carmel recited a poem by Shel Silverstein. What fun. My nephews did their edited rap song, it needed to be more appropriate for a mixed age crowd. Sometimes, their talent for music really amazes me. I'm proud to be related to them. After the dinner, Jimmy, the girls, and I went home and the boys went to the Capp's house for some big screen Wii games and fun. They spent several hours bonding with their cousins. I am so thankful that they were able to get together.
The interesting thing about the photo above is that the kid that is the tallest actually looks the shortest and the kid with the biggest "guns" is not trying to show them. Crazy! What a crew.
Within the next few days, we will be getting together with the rest of the cousins and their families. I will post again soon with details of that visit. I am so thakful for my family and friends. I have felt so much support during the last few months. This has not been an easy time for any of us, but we are making it through.

1 comment:
I'm finally getting a moment to catch up on blogs. Nice one!
Post a Comment