While I am proud of all of my creations...I am most proud of my kids. To be even more specific...I am very proud of one kid in particular.
Today, Patrick went on a field trip to the Regional Contest for Skills USA. Skills USA is a group at the high school that involves the vocational programs. That is the easy explaination. Each of the different categories (Auto shop, graphics, and other tech classes) compete in a variety of events. The event that Patrick took part in was a debate. He and his partner had to prepare an argument on 4 different topics, and they had to be able to argue both sides ( they have been doing this for the last several weeks). They were given the topic they were to argue about 5-10 minutes prior to the debate and I think he said that they flipped a coin right before to see which side they would have to defend. Basically, they had to be prepared for a variety of scenerios.
The topic Patrick's group had to defend was whether or not Seniors should be given an extra class period to work on their Senior Projects. His group was to argue for the extra class time and the other group got to go first. That made Patrick the last to speak. The best part of the whole thing...Patrick's team won first place. He was so excited and is even more thrilled that, now, he gets to go to State Competition in April.
As many of my family and friends are aware...we have had many struggles with Patrick over the last 12 years, as far as school goes anyway. Despite his learning disabilities, he has worked hard to pass classes and, eventhough he has not always succeeded, he has never fully given up. He is determined to graduate high school. For that alone, I am proud of him. He can be a really amazing kid when he wants to be. I have actually started to see some significant improvement in his maturity over the last 2 months.
So, while I am proud of all my kids, this is the day to sing Patrick's praises. If I could actually sing, it would make things easier...but since I can't, I will write his praises. I love him so much. I can't wait to see the type of adult he is going to be.
6 comments:
Way to go patrick! Good luck in April! Mary you do have some to sing praises of! WOW!
I am so proud of him. I am also very proud of you and Jimmy for it is his parents who helped to mold him in those formative years. Love ya, Mom
that's awesome! congrats - what an accomplishment!
I just ordered a book for Patrick...it's shipping to your house. Tell him I said he HAS to read it. When he's done, he can either keep it or pass it on to someone else (I'll always take it back). It might just be one of the best books I've ever read, and it could help him in his April debate.
Well Way to go Patrick! It is wonderful when you discover strengths in yourself that people admire. I am proud of you, too, so I guess I am one proud Auntie!
And Mary, you and jimmy, like Mom said, have done well. Of course, I have always known that and also know that just because kids struggle and we might not see eye to eye with them at times doesn't mean we don't have things to be proud of with them.
I know he feels great about himself with this accomplishment and I wish a continuation of it for the rest of his life.
OH, and I remembered to look at your blog all by myself with nobody reminding me :) (so what it is a week later) I gotta stop facebook if I'm gonna keep up with blogging. I can't do it all!
Post a Comment