Here is a quick update about Jimmy and his chemo week. We went for his first day of treatment on Monday. They didn't quite seemed prepared to start treatment for some reason and it ended up being a long day. But in the end, he did get to start treatment. The doctor also started him on an antibiotic to be taken 3 times a week, just to keep him from getting any type of infection.
So, he started his bactrim on Monday and continued with it on Wed as scheduled. This morning however, he woke up with a rash on his trunk. Now, we already know that he is allergic to penicillin and one other antibiotic that I can't seem to recall the name of at the moment, and we were hoping that bactrim would be ok to take. Unfortunately, eventhough the chemo he is getting can cause a rash as a side effect, the doctor thinks his rash is from the antibiotic. This means that he has to stop taking it and they opted not to start another on at this time. They also started him on steroids, to help resolve the rash. The bad part about that is, prednisone can cause immunosupression. GREAT, as if the leukemia and the chemo weren't bad enough, now he has steroids to really kick his butt. I tell you, if it weren't this it would be something else.
He is doing very well, despite all the complication. He will have to go in once a day, for I don't know how long, to get a shot to help boost his white count. I hope it works and that he is not allergic to it also. So far, I think we will be able to stay out of the hospital, but only time will tell. Please continue to keep him in your prayers.
As for the rest of the family, I have been sick for about 5 or 6 days. Not sure what I have besides a sinus infection, wicked cough, and laryngitis, but I am definately getting better. It is just one of the risks you face when you work with sick kids for a living. I am a little worried though that Jimmy will catch what I have, so I have been avoiding him as much as possible. Kinda hard to do when you share so much space. The kids all seem to be feeling OK, but Carmel is acting a little punky so she may be getting sick, and Patrick has been sleeping a lot this week, so he may be trying to fight something off. I guess we will have to wait and see. Sara is feeling better than ever. Which is good because she has a chorus performance tomorrow.
I hope next week is uneventful. We have had a very busy year already and it is only the 8th. I will try to post again soon with another update.
1 comment:
You and the whole family are forever in my prayers. Please keep me posted. If there is anything else we can do, please let us know. Love to all of you, Mom
Post a Comment