Friday, February 15, 2008

Not much romance here...

I sure wish I had some great romantic tale to tell about my Valentines Day...but I don't. Unfortunately, I worked on V-day. But what was even better/worse was that I got a house full of FLU.

Yes, the flu bug has hit my house. Sara started it on Tuesday and by Wed evening had full blown fever and flu symptoms. She started feeling better today, just in time for Patrick to get sick. And in the midst of all this, Jimmy has gotten sick. That is the really scary part as his blood counts are still not quite normal and he has the potential to get really sick. So, while I worked all day again today, Jimmy took great care of his two sick kids. Carmel has managed to stay well for the moment and has been a big help.

Luckily, I am now off for the next 3 days and will be able to nurse my family back to good health. If I can just keep from getting it I will be OK.

But, just so you know, Valentines Day was not a total bust. I did get a very sweet card and, since I am on a diet and not really fond of spending money on flowers, a small stuffed lion from my dear sweet husband. I got him a card as well and Season 2 of MacGyver, which he has been wanting for some time. And we got the kids some chocolate and small stuffed animals for each of them. Maybe next year we will have time for a romantic dinner or a movie or something, but for now I am happy with the small things.

4 comments:

Fran Eury said...

Oh, the "small things" mean quite a lot. Many of our 48 Valentine's Days consisted of "small things" as we had very little money sometimes and had to restrict our gifts. Glad your family seems to be on the mend. Flu is just awful. and scary. Hoe we don't et it when we start to teach and be around children often. Love you soooooo much. Mom

Mary said...

I always treasure the small things. They usually mean the most.

Wayne said...

Well, even though I wrote that poem, we didn't exactly do much for V-day. Our kids have been sick too. Thursday night we were dealing with Bella's fever. Cristina did get a tray of chocolates out, but I had already brushed my teeth when I came down, so I didn't eat any. Or maybe I did. I can't remember. We watched The Girls Next Door. Very romantic, huh?

Friday night we were supposed to go to a storytelling event called "Crazy Love," but with Bella's fever, we cancelled. Oh well.

Lynn said...

And actually, it is more romantic to have spontaneous acts of romance that are on unexpected days rather than "you have to get them something because it is V Day". So sometime, when the mood is right and the timing is good you can have an even better experience because it was done for love rather than obligation!