We had thought we would go to North Pole, Alaska to see Santa's House today, but when we woke up we discovered it had snowed overnight. Actually, I had been checking out the window periodically during the night, looking for the Northern Lights, so it was 7 am when I discovered the snow. Patrick realized it at about 9.
Our plans to go to Santa's House were quickly changed once we found out that Steven's truck wouldn't start. Now let me back up a minute...he has borrowed a friends truck for the time we are here because it has an extended cab, so it is a little more comfortable. However, it is a straight drive and not Steven's favorite way to drive, and in the snow it is even more challenging. Don't get me wrong, Steven is a great driver, afterall he can drive a 20,000 ton vehicle. But he does not have much snow driving experience. So after going to base to get his truck, which like I said didn't start, and seeing how bad the roads were, I decided that maybe going to North Pole wasn't such a good idea. Instead, we decided to go and grab some junk food for the boys and some veggies for me and head back to the room for some game playing and relaxation.
I should probably also share that I am quite impressed with Steven's snow driving ability. I never really felt scared, a little nervous maybe, but not terrified. I told him his Dad and Granddad would be quite proud. Now I won't worry about him too much this winter. By the time this winter is over, he'll be a real pro.
At about 5, Demi came over to join us for dinner and a game of spades. We had mac and cheese, and I had some fresh snow peas with mine...yummy. After dinner but before cards, we went out for another snowball fight. What a blast. I got hit right in the side of the head by Patrick, and Steven was the last to get hit, right before we came in. I guess I would have to say that Patrick won. It has been such a long time since I have had a real good snowball fight. Unfortunately, it is a pretty dry snow, so not the best for snowballs. The boys finally resorted to throwing the snow that had been scraped to the end of the parking lot. The bad part about that was the fact that it was dirty snow. I hope my sweatshirt comes clean. Anyway, it was worth it in the end. The boys had a real blast.
Right now the guys are watching Heros, and I am catching up on my computer stuff. Steven has to go back to the barracks tonight. He is supposed to go to work tomorrow, he says he will likely get to leave early, so hopefully he will be here around breakfast time. I'm not really sure what we are going to do tomorrow, it may depend on the road conditions and whether Steven can get his truck started or not. At some point we are supposed to go to Denali, I hear it is really pretty down there. We have put off Santa's House until Thurs or Friday, after I get paid. Since all Santa's House really is is a huge gift shop. But interesting none the less. They have real reindeer and the worlds biggest Santa. I think the girls will find it interesting.
Well, time to close this post, I need to update Facebook as well and I will probably be going to bed soon. Enjoy the pics.
2 comments:
i love that post mom are you really going to meet Santa and go to his house
Post a Comment